How To Spot Early Signs Of Roaches In Your Garden City, NY Home
March 10, 2022
Cockroaches are practically dinosaurs. Estimated to be over 100 million years old by many, these resilient New York pests have been around the block a time or two when it comes to survival. What that means for your household is that if you have an infestation, it won’t be dealt with easily. Not only are they resilient, but they are also dangerous and fast-moving so that they can bring bacteria and viruses to every corner of your house in no time at all.
Early detection is a must to prevent a cockroach infestation from taking over. Keeping an eye out for their signs can save you money and stress when it comes to eliminating these Jurassic period dinosaur pests.
What Kind Of Cockroaches Are There In Garden City?
There are a couple of common cockroach species in the Garden City area. With some slight variations per species, it’s helpful to learn some of their distinctive characteristics to know what you’re dealing with.
- Up to 1 inch in length
- Shiny black color
- Oval shaped
- Females - long wing pads, no wings
- Males - wing size ¾ of the length of their bodies
- Cannot fly
- Prefer cool, damp places like basements and crawl spaces
- Enter households under doors, along utility pipes, and through drains
- Gather around water sources
- Prefer decaying organic matter for food
German cockroaches are pretty easy to distinguish from Oriental roaches and prefer different areas of the home from oriental roaches.
- Up to ? of an inch long
- Light brown with two dark stripes down the back
- Oval shaped
- Can fly but prefer to run
- Prefer warm and humid places like kitchens and bathrooms
- Hitch rides indoors on grocery bags, cardboard boxes, and secondhand appliances like refrigerators
- Eat anything, including glue and soap
Both cockroach species are dangerous home invaders that can bring dozens of pathogens indoors. Keeping a handle on these pests is vitally important for the health of your household members.
Signs of an Infestation
Because cockroaches are such filthy creatures, it’s somewhat easy to tell when you’ve got a problem. There are a few signs to look out for when you fear an infestation.
- Droppings that look like pepper on surfaces like countertops
- Fecal staining that looks like dark smears, usually around the corners of the room, on top of door frames, or around cracks and openings
- A musty odor
- Red-colored egg cases between 8 and 10 millimeters
- Roach sightings
More than simply being a nuisance, cockroaches are dangerous. They are known to carry E. coli, salmonella, parasitic worms, and other diseases. They are also a threat to people with asthma. When you suspect an infestation, you need to move fast to get a professional involved.
Pied Piper Pest Control Is Your Garden City Pest Control Relief
With over 40,000 satisfied customers, it’s clear that Pied Piper Pest Control is the best pest control provider in the Garden City, NY area. To guarantee pests like these are dealt with and kept out of your home, we offer a protection service that sweeps through every corner of your house and property to prevent future pest problems. If your pests return before our next scheduled visit, so will we, within two days of your call. Trust Pied Piper Pest Control to protect your home from dangerous pests. Call or visit us online for a free estimate today.
What Our Customers Are Saying
I've been using this company a year now and couldn't be more satisfied. Idk why I haven't left one before. They're prompt and no matter the issue, he has always resolved it. Thank you for keeping my wife safe from the little mosters.
Contact Pied Piper Pest Control Today!516-544-6702
Reach out to us for pest control in Garden City, NY and the surrounding areas.